David Cote is the business mastermind who took industrial giant Honeywell from a valuation of $20 billion to $120 billion during his tenure as CEO!
David joins Nick today for a very special discussion about his incredible new book, the power of mind-set, how to maximise short term performance while still planning for the long term, and the challenges of managing complexity and stress.
- To advance in any business you need two things: performance and visibility. You have to do a great job, and you need to make sure it’s being recognised.
- Many believe that short-term or long-term are mutually exclusive. This thinking is fundamentally flawed, and can be subverted if we realign our perspective.
- The most important part of taking control of long-term and short-term goals simultaneously, is to capture the correct mind-set.
- Planning and promises are all part of strategy, but we should never promise something we can’t deliver. We inspire and motivate by showing up and keeping our word.
- We need to nurture a culture in our organisation that will encourage people to execute strategic decisions, but this begins with recognising the behaviours we wish to engender.
‘You have no idea how much good you did yourself by how you handled this thing’
’Sometimes you have to take a risk in business and life’
’Success is about accomplishing two seemingly conflicting things at the same time’
’No matter what it is you’re trying to get done, mind-set is the fundamental thing that has to change’
‘Value is one thing. Behaviour is how you do it’
Scale Up Your Business – scaleup.vip/podcast
Join the free Scale Up Your Business community: scaleup.vip/community
Generate 20 New Leads in 20 Days – download your free 5-step guide to put in place my top-performing customer creation strategies: scaleup.vip/20leads
WINNING NOW, WINNING LATER: How Companies Can Win in the Short Term While Investing in the Long Term (Amazon): https://amzn.to/3fGqTEm
ABOUT THE GUEST
David Cote is Executive Chairman of Vertiv Holdings Co, a global data center products and services provider. Previously, as CEO of the industrial giant Honeywell, he grew the company’s market capitalization from around $20 billion to nearly $120 billion, delivering returns of 800 percent and beating the S&P by nearly two and a half times. He is the author of, WINNING NOW, WINNING LATER: How Companies Can Win in the Short Term While Investing in the Long Term (HarperCollins Leadership, June 2020).
ABOUT THE HOST
My name is Nick Bradley. I’m an entrepreneur, author, speaker and investor. My background is in growing and scaling VC and Private Equity backed businesses.
Having successfully built, bought and sold a number of companies, and removed myself from day-to-day operations, my focus now is on helping entrepreneurs get to where they want to be, in business and in life. As well as investing in growth businesses and backing turnarounds – with the ultimate aim of creating value from significant capital events.
I’m passionate about personal and professional development – showing up and being the best version of myself … every day.
My bigger vision is to help bring entrepreneurial skills, experience and mindset to people in developing nations – so they can follow their dreams, live life more on their terms – utilising entrepreneurship as a global force for good.
Nick’s Facebook Page: https://scaleup.vip/FB
Nick’s LinkedIn: https://scaleup.vip/LI
Nick’s Instagram: https://scaleup.vip/IG
Nick’s website: https://scaleup.vip/NB
Scale Up Your Business website: https://scaleup.vip/suyb