David B Horne, founder of the Add then Multiply consultancy who work with business founders who want to grow fast and author of the award-winning book by the same name talks with Nick about how small business can think like big businesses
They discuss some of the many ways deals can be structured and what David looks for in the businesses he works with, creating impact beyond growth and the creation of wealth
David also discusses the mission of Funding Focus who work to level the playing field for female and under-represented entrepreneurs when raising capital.
- The share for share structure means an exchange of shares with potentially a small capital payment
- Agglomeration is creating an entity to be floated on the stock exchange. You are putting your business into the group for the expected payday
- When it’s a private company you can control who you offer your shares to, when it’s a listed vehicle anyone can become a shareholder
- When a company is listed on a public exchange there is never any dispute over the value of the company
- When a company is well managed and growing you have virtually limitless pools of capital you can access
- I like to go deep inside the business and deep inside the head of the business owner to understand their motivation, what they want to do and why
- I want to understand what people are going to do with the money
- I like to work with people who have an idea about what they want to do when they have grown and made their money
- I like to see people who are aligned with the UN global goals and know that if I’m helping people to earn tons of money they will do something useful with it
- I prefer to work growing businesses rather than restructuring. It’s about the steps along the road, understanding the flow and integration steps to grow
- Its big company thinking for smaller companies who may think it’s not accessible to them or realistic and is an underleveraged opportunity
- The level at which you can scale a business is about the mindset and understanding of the founder
‘It’s fascinating the number of ways you can structure deals’
‘There aren’t enough smaller businesses thinking about this’
‘It’s about impact as well as wealth creation’
Scale Up Your Business – scaleup.vip/podcast
Join the free Scale Up Your Business community: scaleup.vip/community
Take the Predictable Growth Assessment™, to measure your current business performance and show you where to focus next to get to where you want to be: https://scaleup.vip/PredictableGrowthAssessment
ABOUT THE HOST
My name is Nick Bradley. I’m an entrepreneur, author, speaker, and investor. My background is in growing and scaling VC and Private Equity backed businesses.
Having successfully built, bought and sold a number of companies, and removed myself from day-to-day operations, my focus now is on helping entrepreneurs get to where they want to be, in business and in life. As well as investing in growth businesses and backing turnarounds – with the ultimate aim of creating value from significant capital events.
I’m passionate about personal and professional development – showing up and being the best version of myself … every day.
My bigger vision is to help bring entrepreneurial skills, experience and mindset to people in developing nations – so they can follow their dreams, live life more on their terms – utilising entrepreneurship as a global force for good.
Nick’s Facebook Page: https://scaleup.vip/FB
Nick’s LinkedIn: https://scaleup.vip/LI
Nick’s Instagram: https://scaleup.vip/IG
Scale Up Your Business website: www.suyb.global