In this episode, Nick talks to Ryan Tansom, the president of Arkona, who help business owners and entrepreneurs increase the value of their business with the end in mind.
Ryan’s is a story of value creation, having turned around his family business, resulting in a sale that netted an eight-figure sum. Since then, Ryan has taken the lessons learned, and has helped other entrepreneurs to focus on long term value creation.
Ryan discusses his ‘Intentional Growth Five Principles Framework’, designed to add structure to your own value creation and maximise your business, and why your mind-set should be the first thing you work on.
- When it comes to sale, many businesses are hampered by not knowing how to articulate their requirements from the sale itself.
- 90%+ of entrepreneurs are solving for annual income. Truly understanding the value of a business allows you to shift your mind-set and see the potential value.
- The number one problem in the merger and acquisition marketplace, is financial education. Those who have grown a company have no idea how to best maximise when it comes to sale, or even of the metrics required.
- The five intentional growth principles are:
- Your drivers – What is important to you?
- Your financial targets – Annual income, outside net-worth, and net value of your company.
- Your exit options – Internal transfers, search funds, ESOPs, private equity, and strategic buyers.
- Grow value by creating a sustainable, predictable cash-flow machine.
- Hire the right team of advisers.
‘You’re playing around with scarcity and certainty’
‘Corporate Finance isn’t even a word that most entrepreneurs know’
‘It was like a lot of people building a puzzle, with all the pieces upside down’
‘It’s not us teaching owners what to do – it’s teaching them how the game works’
Scale Up Your Business – scaleup.vip/podcast
Join the free Scale Up Your Business community: scaleup.vip/community
Generate 20 New Leads in 20 Days – download your free 5-step guide to put in place my top-performing customer creation strategies: scaleup.vip/20leads
Arkona – https://arkona.io/ryan-tansom
Ryan Tansom LinkedIn – https://www.linkedin.com/in/ryan-tansom-4a440710/
Intentional Growth Podcast – https://arkona.io/podcasts
ABOUT THE HOST
My name is Nick Bradley. I’m an entrepreneur, author, speaker and investor. My background is in growing and scaling VC and Private Equity backed businesses.
Having successfully built, bought and sold a number of companies, and removed myself from day-to-day operations, my focus now is on helping entrepreneurs get to where they want to be, in business and in life. As well as investing in growth businesses and backing turnarounds – with the ultimate aim of creating value from significant capital events.
I’m passionate about personal and professional development – showing up and being the best version of myself … every day.
My bigger vision is to help bring entrepreneurial skills, experience and mindset to people in developing nations – so they can follow their dreams, live life more on their terms – utilising entrepreneurship as a global force for good.