With world events taking a sudden and drastic turn towards the uncertain, many business owners are justifiably anxious about their future. Despite the darkness of the moment, there are always opportunities to be had. It’s all about changing your mind-set, reflecting on the decisions we’ve made in the past, and powering through towards solutions that are definitely out there to be had.
Now is the time to put measures into place so that when things inevitably improve, you can slingshot your way to an even more successful future. In this very special episode, Nick provides some practical, positive tips for doing just that.
- When the world is turned upside down, and we find ourselves in difficulties, it might be because we haven’t anticipated the worst. If nothing else positive comes out of this, then it might make us understand that effective contingency planning should be an essential part of any business.
- Everyone will get through this. This is the most important thing to remember. This will pass. You will recover and the world will return to normal. If anything, we’ll be a little wiser.
- Cash is king- This is a time for reviewing budgets and adjusting cashflow. Make easy cuts everywhere, and focus on achieving clarity around your budgets.
- Reset your goals- Re-examine your goals and plans for the year ahead. Things like travel will be near to impossible, but instead of letting those plans linger and create a cloud of negativity, best to nip them in the bud now. It’s okay to pivot! It’s also okay to realise that the reality going forward might be different.
- Double down on yourroutine - Diet, exercise, reading, absorbing information and culture, meditation and even getting out there for a walk can help you to keep your day in shape, as well as your mental and physical wellbeing.
- Fill your calendar- Use your time creatively and productively. Take a step back from social media and the news, as it can turn any positives into negatives, and the world needs positives right now. Put some tasks and goals onto that calendar and get excited about achieving them!
- Practice gratitude- Focus on the good things you have: health, family and relationships. If you’re looking back at what you had, you can’t be present for the opportunities of today.
- What are the positives in this?- There’s always something positive about any situation. Perhaps it’s more time with your kids? Perhaps it’s giving you the opportunity to work on something you’ve been wanting to devote yourself to for year, but have never had the time?
- It’s okay to feel uncertain- Believe it or not, the power to remain in a state of uncertainty is a tool that allows the bravest of us to win.
- Be a leader- This is a time for leadership, whether it’s at work or in your home. People need strength, and someone to aspire to.
- See things for how they really are- The future is bright. You need to plan for that. This is a blip. People will travel again, and go to events again. Perhaps this is the time you should be looking at business models that could supplement the world as it is now?
- Provide more value- Your clients need to see how valuable you can be. Look for the ways in which you can help, and which can add value to the people in your life.
’There are opportunities even when things are really, really challenging’
‘I always say live to 50% of your means’
‘What I am focussed on is helping people’
’Expect the best but plan for the worst’
‘Double down on the things that are going to give you value’
‘Gratitude is the antidote to fear’
Scale Up Your Business Podcast
The Five-Minute Journal App - https://apps.apple.com/gb/app/five-minute-journal/id1062945251 (iOS) - https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.intelligentchange.fiveminutejournal&hl=en_GB (Android)
ABOUT THE HOST
My name is Nick Bradley. I’m an entrepreneur, author, speaker and investor.
My background is in growing and scaling VC and Private Equity backed businesses.
Having successfully built, bought and sold a number of companies, and removed myself from day-to-day operations, my focus now is on helping entrepreneurs get to where they want to be, in business and in life. As well as investing in growth businesses and backing turnarounds - with the ultimate aim of creating value from significant capital events.
I’m passionate about personal and professional development - showing up and being the best version of myself ... every day.
My bigger vision is to help bring entrepreneurial skills, experience and mindset to people in developing nations - so they can follow their dreams, live life more on their terms - utilising entrepreneurship as a global force for good.