Spencer Lodge, founder of the Blue Sky Thinking Group and host of ‘The Spencer Lodge’ podcast is known as one of the world’s most dynamic trainers and in this episode, he shares great content about the importance of getting a ‘no’ and the value of transparency and honesty in sales.
He reflects on his own journey and the events that have defined the direction he has taken and explains why ultimately it’s all about being brave, having belief in yourself and understanding that you need to be able to build rapport and find and solve other people’s problems if you want them to say yes to you.
- You are never going to get a ‘yes’ until you understand the importance of getting the ‘no’
- People can become so affected and intimidated by rejection; it can paralyse them because they fear what the outcome may be.
- There are three ways to get prospects – cold call, network and referrals
- When you are in the mode of taking on new clients and doing more business with existing clients your income can multiply very quickly
- If people can give you one referral then they can give you three or four referrals if you bring value.
- Everyone can give referrals because everyone is connected.
- People need to tell you the problem and then you need to find the right solution
- If you offer honesty and transparency people are kind if you give them the chance to be
- Some people have an issue with the ask and this comes back to the fear of rejection
- The rule of 21 – always have 21 prospects because 7 will say ‘yes, 7 will say ‘no’ and 7 will say ‘maybe’
- The problem most companies have is that they believe their salespeople need to be better but 99% of the time it’s the owner and the management that are the issue.
- In any business, the top 20% are hugely motivated and just need love and recognition
- The bottom 20% are in the wrong job and should be got rid of and the middle 60% could be good if they are trained as a group and allowed to be successful
- Every company needs a process and a system that everyone can learn
- People are people but the way people consume information and create trust with someone else has changed.
- There are now opportunities to create familiarity and trust with those people you may not have reached previously.
‘When you are in the mode of taking on new clients and doing more business with existing clients your income can multiply very quickly’
‘In sales, you just have to be brave enough to believe in what you are doing’
‘There are gazillions of people who have a problem you can solve and you need to make it your mission to find them’
Scale Up Your Business – scaleup.vip/podcast
Join the free Scale Up Your Business community: scaleup.vip/community
Take the Six Peaks of Value Creation Scorecard, to measure your current business performance and show you where to focus to get to where you want to be: https://scaleup.vip/sixpeaks
ABOUT THE HOST
My name is Nick Bradley. I’m an entrepreneur, author, speaker and investor. My background is in growing and scaling VC and Private Equity backed businesses.
Having successfully built, bought and sold a number of companies, and removed myself from day-to-day operations, my focus now is on helping entrepreneurs get to where they want to be, in business and in life. As well as investing in growth businesses and backing turnarounds – with the ultimate aim of creating value from significant capital events.
I’m passionate about personal and professional development – showing up and being the best version of myself … every day.
My bigger vision is to help bring entrepreneurial skills, experience and mindset to people in developing nations – so they can follow their dreams, live life more on their terms – utilising entrepreneurship as a global force for good.
Nick’s Facebook Page: https://scaleup.vip/FB
Nick’s LinkedIn: https://scaleup.vip/LI
Nick’s Instagram: https://scaleup.vip/IG
Scale Up Your Business website: www.suyb.global